Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bliss, Interrupted.

You know that point, at the end of the day....the little one(s) are in bed, finally.  You do what you need to do, maybe switch over some laundry, do the dishes, whatever.  You're ready for ME-time.  You sit down into aaaahhhhhhhhh with a glass of wine cup of tea, DVR and your laptop.  And then..........it all goes horribly, horribly awry.

Let me back up.  Last week, Bianca was sick.  Really sick.  She has severe asthma and, despite the fact that she takes four different daily meds to control it, it's an unfortunately regular occurrence that we end up in the ER.  Last Friday (12/10), we went to my Mom's house for a cookie bake-a-thon sleepover.  Bianca had a bit of a cold and cough.  We stayed up too late, til about 11pm, because it was a special night.  Bianca woke up at 3am wanting to know if it was morning and could we wake up Gramma and start baking again.  Please, please, please, please?? NO. I woke up at 4am from a dream.  And not even the good kind, sheesh!  She got up again at 5-something and 6-something.  Once sunlight was streaming in, she was not hearing any more about sleep.  As Saturday progressed, I saw she was getting to crisis mode with her asthma.  I maxed her out on the medication I'm allowed to give her at home.  And at 11pm, we were on our way to the ER.  Home & in bed 2am.  I had to get up early Sunday and drive an hour each way in the pouring rain to sing.  Now, I don't know if you are familiar with what happens to a child when she is on two forms of steroids and albuterol.  Bouncing. Off. The. Walls.  So napping, for either of us, was totally out of the question.  I put her to bed early and came downstairs, for my Me-Time.  Sat down and then.....
"Moooooooooooommy.  I'm not tired."
"Mooooooooooommy, when are you coming upstairs?"
"Mooooooooooommy, I think I've had enough sleep today!"

I went upstairs, finally, and let her come into my bed.  She TALKED my freaking ear off for 90 minutes before she finally passed out shortly before midnight.  At 6:30am, I am sound asleep when awakened by the utterly piercing voice of a 6 year old girl  "AAAAAAAAAAAAAggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  I have THE PINK EYE!!!!!"  Shoot out of bed and run into the bathroom, trying to guide my crusty eyed sweetheart so that she doesn't ram into the furniture or doors.  And indeed, she's got "the pink eye" in both eyes.  Great.  Call out sick, call her out from school, call the Pedi.  Go to pedi, stop at grocery store.  Go home to cook and clean and take care of sickie.  Another night she could not fall asleep because of her meds and now....now, I am starting to feel sick.  I'm sleep deprived and that little beast darling has been coughing and blowing her nose on me for days.  We call out sick on Tues also.  The rest of the week was kindof a blur of no one feeling well, trying to muddle through work and school.

Come this past Friday, I finally admitted I was sick.  It was inevitable.  I did everything right, taking vitamins, drinking fluids, eating healthy.  But by this morning, I knew it had turned the corner to bronchitis.  I am ridiculously prone to it and, after a scary bout with bilateral pneumonia in January, I am super paranoid.  Fortunately, I had medication at home and started it right away.  But I'm not feeling great.  And I have been unable to sleep the past two nights.  Which is most certainly not helping anything.

Today, we had tickets to a show so we went to that.  We had unexpected visitors in the evening which threw off our night time schedule.  She was whiney and sad.  I put her to bed at 7:30, came downstairs to clean up, prepare for tomorrow, laundry, make lunches.  Finally, sat down with my tea, DVR & laptop. Aaaaaahhhhh.  And then I hear over the baby monitor *sssshhhhhkllllpoooooooossshhhhhhhhhhhhhh* cough cough cough *ssshhhhkllpooooossshhhhhhhhhhhhh*  Yeah.  Absolute power vomit all over her bed, blankets, chair, walls, dresser, carpet.  Especially that *awesome* crease where carpet and wall come together.  That spot is a joy to clean.  So much for relaxing.  She seems to feel better after that.  She was nice enough to read me a book while I was scrubbing puke off everything.  "Mom, what does h-u-n-d-r-e-d-s spell?"  "Mom, what does e-l-v-e-s spell?  Well that's silly, why isn't it 'elfs'?  Mooooooooommmmm, why is it elves instead of elfs???"  You know, in the midst of the vomit volcano, I am NOT really in the mood to explain the quirks of the english language to you, sweetpea. 

All that whining to say, dammit I'm exhausted.  So it's time to switch over another load of barf blankets in the wash and see if maybe I can get some sleep tonight.  Do you ever just feel like....what the hell has become of my life????

No comments:

Post a Comment